Sunday, June 29, 2014

Boring, Oregon



Yes, an unfortunate name for a town, though worth a chuckle.  Our host Phil says Boring is proud to be the sister city to Dull, Scotland.

We arrive on Friday and spread all over the grounds of Phil's commercial nursery.  I'm not sure how many acres the operation comprises, but it's ample.



Another first - camped among the blueberry bushes!

The blueberries are not quite ripe yet.  But here's a photo of the Oregon Grape, which is Oregon's state flower and rather blueberry-ish.  



Our camp reminds me of Game Day Saturday back home.



In the evenings, Jerry's cat Samson goes mousing.  I encourage him.



On Saturday, the group explores.  First stop is an overlook on the Columbia River.




Later we visit Multnomah Falls


where I model my new completely awesome thrift-store rain jacket.



Parts of the Columbia River Gorge remind me of the Scottish Highlands.



We stop for lunch at the Full Sail Brew Pub in Hood River.  I have the fish and chips made with salmon (!) and served with a side of pickled zucchini.  Dee-lish!


Speaking of salmon.  Here are a few smoking during a town festival at Cascade Locks.



A view of the expansive and lush fruit basket of Hood River Valley.



No rain today and I hope my new raincoat will remain stored for a while.  We are convinced the weather is about to turn dry and sunny.  Maybe even a star show tonight?

17 comments:

  1. Nice very nice. Falls are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love the weather up here. Many in the group are from your part of the country but summering up here.

      Delete
  2. Thought you weren't supposed to talk about the weather! BTW, that's Multnomah Falls...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loophole: I can write about it. Thanks for the correction - that's what I get for not taking notes.

      Delete
  3. Enjoying learning about Oregan. One of the most beautiful States. Question, how are you enjoying traveling with a group and following someone elses lead? You come across in your writing as very independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      It's refreshing to have other people around for a change!

      Delete
  4. I was at Multnomah Falls yesterday....I am looking for myself on the bridge. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding? It was so crowded we probably wouldn't have seen you. We were there about 3:30-ish.

      Delete
  5. Great find on the jacket!! I"d love to pick some of those berries!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sondra,

      Wasn't it though? I love it. Figured I could find a good used raincoat in Portland.

      Delete
  6. That jacket was a good find and it looks really nice on you!!! What a beautiful place...love the falls!!!
    Lunch looked good as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The lunch was really good.

      Delete
  7. When you say you are camped among blueberries, the picture is actually Oregon grape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium) was designated Oregon's state flower in 1899. (Also called holly-leaved barberry.)

      Delete
    2. Susan,

      Thanks for the clarification. No wonder that fruit appeared to be in an advanced stage of ripeness versus the blueberries.

      Delete
  8. That is the first photo I have ever seen of an RV parked among blueberry bushes!

    Looks like you are having a fantastic time. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TC! And you know I don't miss the weather in the Deep South.

      Delete

Let's chat !