Tuesday, July 15, 2014

More Lincoln City

What a wonderful stay this has been.  We've remained busy over the last 3 - 4 days: beachcombing, shopping, hiking, and even indulged in a red-hot session of Bingo.


None of us actually win anything but we laugh a lot.  And there are free cupcakes so ...  we had that going for us!



Sunday

We spend a blustery afternoon at the nearby Tanger Outlet shops. I score some most excellent sandals. Debbie and Gayle each have a pretty good haul too.

I can hear John now: "Show-off!"

We stop at the local favorite fish market, Barnacle Bill's, where I grab some luscious smoked salmon for dinner.



Monday 


In the morning, Gayle and I explore the beach at low tide.

                                             

The exposed rocks unveil an otherworldly array of marine life.

anemones

sultry starfish

Later in the day, we hike Cascade Head trail.  We have been wanting to do this hike for a couple of days, but the heavy cloud cover would have obscured the views, so we patiently hold off until the elusive sun appears.  Which it does for a magical couple of hours.  Perfect timing!


Gayle, Debbie, and Jim have a pre-hike conference.

This trail traverses diverse ecosystems.  In the beginning, it winds through a first-growth forest of fir, cedar, and spruce




then a meadow



and culminates in this eye-popping view of the Pacific.



Debbie and I stop here, taking it all in, as Jim and Gayle make their way to the top.



We are gazing.  Elk are grazing.



As if that weren't enough scenery for one day, we make a quick visit to the Salmon River Estuary located next to the trailhead.
  

What a great hike!  What a great day!

Tomorrow the others move northward up the coast while I head east toward Mt. Rainier.

9 comments:

  1. I'm busting to go to Oregon & Washington! Beautiful hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fabulous here. I've always wanted to see this area and now I see what all the fuss is about.

      Delete
  2. It has been such fun, especially the bingo! Let's do it again soon.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I detect a note of sarcasm about the bingo? LOL!

      Delete
  3. What a great ah ha moment and sweet score!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great State Oregon is the beauty just never ends. And the cup cakes well what can I say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adore your coast photos! Looks like I place that I need to see. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a hike!!! After reading and following along with you I just can't wait to get to the west coast and some of the awesome places you have visited...I'm keeping notes!!!! I have to have an INR done monthly and it is all new to me...I am hoping there is a way to do this on the road and fax the number to my doctor. This trip will take awhile!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !