Wednesday, July 23, 2014

More Seattle

Monday

After successfully resisting the urge to work, I hop the bus and return to the big city.  

Pioneer Square Station

The weather is to die for.  Well ….. at least to drive 3,500 miles for!  The sun stays out all day and temps top out in the low-70s.  Now THIS is the way to do summer.

I tell myself I want to sample more of the city, but what I really want to sample is the yummy-looking menu here at the Market.




More about that later.

First I head to the Seattle Public Library.  I hear it’s something to see. 



Indeed it is. 




I see things I’ve never seen in a library before – like a Gift Shop.  And decoratively-carved wooden floors throughout.  

Web Photo

Four stories of the book collection are built on an ingenious series of slanted floors labeled with a continuous run of Dewey Decimal numbers.  



Brilliant.  Why don’t all large libraries do this? And dogs!  I’m not sure if their presence is legal but I see several and I don’t see snooty signs stating Service Animals Only

I notice other things on this 2nd foray into Seattle.  People are so nice!  A young guy waiting near me at the Park and Ride shyly asks if I’m sure I know the right bus to catch.  He wants to prevent me from accidentally ending up at the airport.  (So much for blending in).  

The bus drivers say Welcome Aboard.  On my first ride, I don't have exact change, and the driver waves me on anyway.  Notice the beautiful patterned fabric on the bus seats.  What other city does that? 




In town, people smile and speak.  In heavy city traffic, if a car honks, people turn to look!  NYC it ain’t. 

The tacos are delicious, BTW.  The mole sauce is mucho flavorful.




Wednesday

A day at the park!  



It's the Mariners versus the NY Mets.



Safeco Field is my new favorite big-league ballpark.  It’s no surprise that Seattle does it well, with an eclectic and abundant food selection. 


Of course I did.




And well-considered seating.  I practically hover over home plate.



Unfortunately, it rains hard.  All day long.  I, along with thousands of other fans, arrive soaking wet after the 10-minute walk from the transit station.  I reach my seat 5 minutes before the National Anthem.  



My shoes, socks, and jeans are soaked through.  The fact that I never do dry-out or warm-up doesn’t diminish one single bit the thrill of seeing a tight game.  The Mets win 3-2 after a ninth-inning rally by the home team.  



New York's 41-year-old starting pitcher, Colon, throws a perfect game through the seventh–inning.  I think we might witness history.  But it wasn't to be.  



Another memorable day!  Though I am glad to be back home - warm and dry.  



7 comments:

  1. The library photos and the mole sauce did it for me.....I must visit Seattle!!! Looks like you are having a most memorable summer.
    Don't hurry back...the heat is just getting geared up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Mariners game complete with being at Safeco Field...you are just having soooo much fun!!! Good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect landing...would love to tour Seattle! What a collection of fun you are having...just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great day you had. Food looks sooo good. But do you have to rub it in about the low temps? some of are roasting. :(
    Well that's OK I'll keep checking out your blog to see where I might go and enjoying the ride along

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice upholstery! Gives me an idea for the Winnie. Since I don't have a navigator, my passenger seat could serve as my atlas. ;-) I am finding that taco stand if it takes me all day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great city, one of my favorites. I lived 10 years NW of Seattle on Whidbey Island. Will you be heading in that direction. If so, the ferry ride from Anacortes to Friday's Harbor is a must. Let me know if you are heading in the direction of the San Juan's and I'll give you some places to see.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !