Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Pacific

Made it!  

It's hard to believe that just 4 months ago, I was strolling along the Atlantic.

Unleashing the goofy tourist within

This morning, I bid goodbye (for now) to the WINS and head for Astoria, Oregon.  It's love at first sight.  

Looking across the Columbia to the Washington shore 


En route to Astoria, I stopped for a good long walk at Cannon Beach.  I could smell the sea long before I saw it.  I wonder if Lewis & Clark did too?

Haystack Rock

I discover that Left Coast dogs at the beach are just as dopey as their cross-country counterparts.


This must be the smoking area.


Astoria

After driving another 40 miles north, I'm nestled for the night at the Loyal Order of the Moose.




I'm parked on the left of this window below and have the same priceless view.  Not to mention the valuable tourist tips I gather from the helpful local folk at the bar.  Moose membership definitely has its privileges!  



So far, I'm smitten by this unpretentious port town and look forward to exploring it over the next few days.


Portland Saturday Market




Yesterday Suzanne, Debbie, and I return to Portland for a day at the market. The venue was crowded with both shoppers and vendors.




As before, we start our day in the big city with food.  This time, from fabled VooDoo Donuts.  At VooDoo, it's not so much about the quality of the donut, it's about the vast, amusing variety of the donut.   



Though the quality is good too!  I opt for the maple bar topped with bacon.  



Suzanne goes for the peach fritter, Debbie chooses the one topped with peanut butter, chocolate, and rice krispies.  We share like the dignified ladies we are.  






We tell ourselves we are walking off the calories along the Riverfront.



I passed through Portland again this morning on the way to the coast and say so long to The City Of Roses.  What a wonderful place to spend some time!

 

7 comments:

  1. Astoria is one of my favorite places ever but it has been years since I have been there! I was wondering if you ladies are gaining any weight on this trip....the food looks fab !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetness at the market...WOW! What a beautiful spot....all the places you've been, I'd love to hear some rated in order. What a summer.....nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great market place. I love wondering around markets like that. And the donuts well what can I say yummmmmm and I don't eat them because they don't like me back. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is just something about that Oregon coast....it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you made it to the left coast. It would have been a shame to make it so close but not all the way.

    I pick the maple bacon bar but I don't share. OK, I would have shared with the peach but I don't do peanut butter. Still--wish I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those donuts look delicious. Theres a place south of Tucson that makes bacon cupcakes, and there fantastic

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !