Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Yellowstone National Park: Part 1

Blogging about Yellowstone is a challenge because this place, this caldera, this active volcano is one of those spots on the planet that defies description, yet begs for it. 




Yellowstone: Drama Queen of the National Park System 





Where else can you see boiling mud?  



I’ve spent a week exploring the meadows



The valleys



The waterfalls




The canyons



The rapids



The thermal features








The rivers



The lakes




And, of course, the planet's most celebrated geyser – Old Faithful.  



I mean, visiting Yellowstone and missing an eruption would be like attending Mardi Gras and leaving without any beads. 

Yes, it’s crowded.  Very.  Everywhere you go, there is a constant stream of cars and people.  But since Labor Day, the tourist population has aged and the world is an infinitely quieter place. 

More to come from this magical place.   


10 comments:

  1. I should be there in about two weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear about it. I expect phenomenal photography (and a run-in with a buffalo or two!).

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, your last paragraph says it all...the magic time of year when the kids go back to school! Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I told John I wanted to celebrate the coming and going of Labor Day like the 4th of July - with fireworks!

      Delete
  3. Magical is a huge understatement. But I think it's the most descriptive word that we have.

    Do you find yourself so over-awed that you just can't take any more in? I'm afraid that's how I'd feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I feel like my head will explode. But then it always clears before I round the next bend.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pictures. We just left there this morning. It truly is a remarkable place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Ed here @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets
    www.sunrisesandsunsets.us

    I found your blog as a result of your comment on Wheeling It, Nina and Paul's blog. My wife and I are in the Class of 2016. Lots to do prior to then. As an example, we are presently undertaking a solar system on our motorhome. It's a DIY project. So far, so good. We love your blog, and especially like your photos. Particularly your friend's property in the Dubois area. A friend of mine grew up in Dubois. I don't think he appreciates how lucky he was to grow up in that environment.

    Now that we have found you, we will follow...but not too closely.

    And if you have nothing to do, please take a look at our blog. We would appreciate any feedback you might offer, since we are new at this.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !