Sunday, January 18, 2015

Hello Sunshine!

Going Solar





Yep, the GDB is now sporting a 95-watt solar panel.  This panel is the largest my limited roof space would allow but should be plenty for my limited power needs.  

Life should be easier now without worrying about playing the stereo or the silly stuff - like running the furnace at night when it’s 40-degrees out. 

Yippee!

When I first started traveling in the GDB, I drove many miles just about every day so keeping the coach batteries charged was not an issue.  But I’m boondocking more and more.  Having to move away from camp every day to run the generator for an hour to keep the batteries charged finally got old.  

Now, in addition to the significant power boost courtesy of Mother Nature, I won’t have so much generator maintenance.

Brian, who spends his winters at Q, installed the system.  He was the lead solar technician at Solar Discount here in town for years so I knew I was in good hands.  He came out to the RTR for an assessment and did the install a couple of days later at his camp.



Brian was recommended by full-time blogger Me And My Dog.  He’s a great guy – honest, thorough, and charges reasonable rates.  In fact, as I was writing this post he called to make sure all is well. 

Brian worked hard all afternoon while I spent some quality time with Sasha, the wiener dog.  We lazed in the sun together and, at one point, she fell asleep with her head on my shoulder.  Her sweet loving nature reminds me a lot of Doris.



Brian does any sort of RV-related maintenance work as well.    

Almost as exciting as the solar hook-up is the ease with which I can now check the voltage.  Accessing the battery terminals was made difficult by the stubborn slide-out tray that houses the 2 heavy AGM batteries.  So Brian connected a couple of cable extensions insuring that I can now use the voltmeter with minimal effort. 



I’m certain the paradigm shift to solar will really enhance this part-time vagabond life of mine.

BTW, here is Brian’s business card:








17 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Solar spells true freedom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynidi. Then it was worth every cent!

      Delete
  2. Congrats! You will have no regrets! We are heading to Dome Rock in a day or two...should be camped somewhere in the vicinity of Jerry C. Hope our paths cross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be great to see you all. Send me your co-ordinates!

      Delete
  3. Looks good! Look forward to seeing it in person. So when are you coming over?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive rig, very functional office space and very impressive solar panels! You and RVSue have got this solar thing wired -- so to speak! Partner and I did 2 around-U.S. road trips in my minivan. Temps from 25 in Aspen to 100 at midnight in Georgia. Nothing more than a plywood platform and sleeping bags, Walmart lots and McDonald's free wifi; but, we made it anyway and totally worth it! What an awesome country we have! It's our birthright to see it. Happy to go out there again with you. Thanks for inviting us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle, Glad to have you along! Ugh! Nothing worse than trying to sleep hot - like in 100 degrees in GA. It was probably still worth it though.

      Delete
  5. You are going to love this extra freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats....it will give you all the freedom you need and it will be so easy to chase the sun in your rig! I'm going to look at a Roadtrek tomorrow and could not help but think of you. I know how much you love the GDB, I would be interested in any thoughts you have on the features that are most important to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't do without the inverter (although you can have that installed), I also don't have an awning and haven't missed it - but that might be a deal-breaker for you.

      Its easier to list the things I don't like: the low-clearance (not as big a factor with the older RTs) and the macerator hose (kind of a pain to deal with, but not too bad). Feel free to email me with any questions!

      Delete
  7. I don't have your email. Mine is on my blog in the about me section. It will be good to pick your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ya Solar Baby !! Excellent stuff Kim. Like many have said - you won't regret it. I LOVE my solar !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure like your solar setup!! Have fun in Q!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Trails Kim, Enjoy & thank you for the review.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !