Monday, February 9, 2015

Mittry Lake, AZ

The Mittry Lake Wildlife Area is a sweet spot – scenic and quiet. 


The route from Yuma contains miles of agricultural land.  That lettuce you have tucked away in your crisper right now probably came from here. 


We've amassed quite a group here – Jeanne, Barbara, Chris, C.B., Debbie, Suzanne, Jim & Gayle


My 4 days here have been unapologetically spent reading, puzzle-solving, happy-houring, and gazing towards where the mountains meet the sky.  Noble pursuits, if you ask me. 


Unseasonable heat has been a disappointment; it’s fully 10 degrees warmer than usual for this time of year.  We’ve endured a string of days in the mid-80’s.  Yes, it’s dry heat, but heat nonetheless.  And shade is in short supply. 


It is the desert, after all.

The area is surrounded by rugged, unmarked trails.  And Big Horn Sheep, though I’ve yet to spot any.  Debbie sighted several the other morning.  

Six of us took off for a hike yesterday morning.  I turned back when 1/2 of my water supply was gone.  My Girl Scout Troop Leader would be so proud!  



This peak offered a view with a breeze.  I have no cell service back at camp but managed to get a signal at the top here.


Can anyone identify this raptor?   Help us out, Judy!


The hope is that it’s a juvenile golden eagle, but the consensus is that it’s probably a hawk of some sort; (though certainly larger than any hawk I’ve ever seen). 

Meanwhile, my solar panel continues to do its magical thing.  The idiot light to the far right tells me the battery is fully-charged.  Oh, how that little green light makes my heart sing!

Note: before you express concern, the holding and grey tank lights are hopelessly inaccurate. 


That's all for now.  However, I fully expect to have more blog-worthy activities to report soon.  

Stay tuned!

12 comments:

  1. My first time here, and I love it, too. I just moved to the other side of my little parking area, and like the water view even more on this side. I have Hummingbirds, too. Nice! Good shot of the bird - I got a bunch of shots of him yesterday, late afternoon, but mine are all black, no coloring on him at all. Wrong angle, wrong time of day. I can see from your photo that he's a beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie says to thank that nice lady, Kim, for the treats. ~ ~ ~ (Those are Katie kisses)

      Delete
    2. Glad you like it here too. Tell Little Katie it's my pleasure!

      Delete
  2. At least being camped next to water gives the illusion of cool temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      It's really nice in the shade, even in the hottest part of the day. Especially with a breeze!

      Delete
  3. Can't help you with the bird, but I sure am envying your solar.

    Can you use your laptop on solar? If so, how long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning the limitations. The advice I am following is: use the laptop's battery as long as possible. Recharge the laptop while it is off. The difference is about 1.5 amps to recharge while off versus about 5 amps to operate via the inverter.

      Delete
  4. Definitely not an eagle, and my guess would be a light juvenile red-tailed hawk. ;) I thought I might have recognized your rig on Saturday when I visited Mittry Lake, but I didn't see anyone around. How long will you be there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Will be here for another 2 weeks probably.

      Delete
    2. I have to go to town tomorrow for groceries, etc. How do I find you if you are not on the road next to the water? I will be coming south on the road off of the Imperial Dam road by the Big Guns.

      Delete
  5. Looks wonderful there, your photos during the golden hour are stunning. Great shot of the hawk. I found that charging the laptop during high sun usually charged the laptop and additional went to the batteries. I hardly noticed the draw if solar was coming in. I'm planning on adding to the battery bank this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I sit here with 5 feet of snow, on the front lawn, 80 plus degrees is definitely blog worthy! As are all the warm and sunny pictures! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !