Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Almost Home

A visual clue that you are in the Deep South.    



Yet, even blindfolded, you would know it once the air smells of honeysuckle and fried ham.  

Springtime is truly brilliant in these parts.  (I only hope the dogwoods and azaleas have waited on my arrival to peak). 

Spent last night just east of Baton Rouge at Cabela's.  




You never know where you’ll end up for the night on a road trip! 


I especially like staying at Cabelas's and Bass Pro Shops.  The parking areas are large, well-lit, level, quiet, and often contain dump and water stations.  And I've never been turned away when requesting to overnight.

Today brought a much-anticipated stop in Gulfport, MS for lunch.



I always try to manage lunch or dinner at the Blow Fly Inn when traversing I-10/ The restaurant is situated on a bayou and the menu is as pretty as the scenery from your table.  



After considerable time spent drooling over the menu, I opted for the Shrimp & Grits: sauteed jumbo shrimp, sausage, mushroom, bell pepper, in a rich cream sauce over fried grit cakes.  The smoky combination of flavors is to die for.   



[And, yes, Debbie .... I got some on my nose.  Only it wasn't as much fun without you there to notice].

I love the underated Gulf coastal areas of MS and AL.  The drawback is that this part of the globe is only comfortable a few months out of the year (unless you are a reptile or really into sweating).

Visit at just the right time though, and you will experience incomparable pleasures.  

Home tomorrow!     

Last night, John and I devised a menu for the next 4 days.  Tomorrow night is trout amandine, whipped garlic potatoes, and my favorite Chardonnay. 



All that ... and Doris too!

8 comments:

  1. Welcome home. Tried for the campus tour this evening, but spent too much time visiting with younguns in a neighborhood watering hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grit cakes look interesting. How are they held together? The look crispy on the outside.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Blow Fly Inn too! I met up with fellow bloggers Erin and Mui there 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That meal looks amazing! Homecoming time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great that coming home is as wonderful as heading out is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That menu is wonderful! Interesting how different the offerings are in different parts of the country. You know you're getting close to home by what's on the menu! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !