Sunday, May 3, 2015

Back in the Stable, Back at the Table

I've been home for about 2 weeks now.


It always takes time to settle in after the GDB is unpacked and put away in the stable.  


There is no time to lose as, over the next few months, I'll stay busy cramming 6 months worth of chores and projects into 3 months of time.  Including getting ready for the next trip!

This go-round, I'd like to continue blogging while at home.  I didn’t do this for years because it’s a travel blog after all.  And, admittedly, blog-worthy events are harder to come by when stationary. But I do miss my blog and, though understandable, I regret losing readers in between trips. 

One of the primary activities at my house is eating well.  So expect a lot of food-related posts. 

FOOD

While away, I really miss our weekend grill sessions.  And John knows what he's doing. He worked his way through college manning the grill at a local BBQ joint.  I always say he got his PhD in ribs.

 The man can grill



Of course, Doris is always close by.



She ain't stupid.



We just love a charcoal-grilled T-bone along with our favorite Zinfandel.  Sides include ciabatta rolls and oven-baked rosemary potatoes.  




Most weekends, John makes one of my favorite dishes of his own creation - fried potatoes topped with onion, cheese, bacon, and fresh chives.  He calls them 'Irish Nachos'.  

The first step is to slice the peeled baking potatoes with a mandolin 




then rinse and pat the slices dry to eliminate some of the starch - makes 'em extra crispy - 



fry ‘em up golden brown



and add toppings.



Oh my!  The texture is both crispy and gooey at the same time.  Heavenly!      

Maybe I should start another blog to chronicle my weight gain.  





11 comments:

  1. Great idea about the potatoes! I have a tool just like that, so no excuses not to try it! Everything looks so scrumptious!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on day 3 of a diet with major changes ... seeing those pictures have me hungry at 9:36pm. I can see what I am going to fix for dinner tomorrow. Keep blogging, even if it's only about food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old vine zinfandels are often used for sweet wines. Is your wine sweet or dry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me hungry!!! I hope you have lots of good trails nearby to combat all this eating!! ;-)

    I think I need to buy a mandolin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you eat just as healthy at home as you do on the road;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those nacho potatoes look wonderful! That may be the impetus I need to finally buy a mandolin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does John do send out!?! I am one of my no cooking modes. Glad to hear you are continuing to blog....Hate to miss hearing from you! I need a mandolin but one with a finger guard so we don't eat fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you are going to keep blogging between trips.

    I have blown my diet to smithereens already this week, so I might finish it off by trying the Irish nachos tonight. I love your food posts!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !