Tuesday, May 5, 2015

New Recipes

Nothing much going on here other than working away on the to-do list (not so fun) and the recipe file (way fun).  One of the items on the not-so-fun list was to repair a windshield chip sustained on I-10 W outside Fort Stockton, TX.  Or so I thought.

(Who knew there are so many classifications for windshield chips)?



The technician who arrived at the appointed hour discovered that, what I thought is a new rock chip, is actually an old repair.  Yay!  This marks the first time the GDB windshield has survived undamaged on a long trip. 

Doris on Canvas

A while back, at a Humane Society fundraiser, we won a raffle for a pet portrait.  Here’s the original photo.  Followed by the completed work of Dodo's are we ever going to the park? look.





Thanks to Molly McDonald of Darling Dog Portraits!

Recipes for Success

I love making pies – especially those made with fresh fruit.  Years ago, when I was deep into my dissertation and working full-time, pie-baking was my therapy.  


Suddenly one day, John confessed that he was concerned about the effect of my hobby on his waistline.  At his suggestion, I switched to making savory pies.

Here’s a new keeper - Sausage and Spinach Ricotta Pie - right out of the oven. 



So tasty with a crisp side salad!  




The last of our 2014 Beaujolais Nouveau was the ideal complement for the slightly spicy sausage. 



Over the weekend, John made this delectable but super-easy Roasted Roma TomatoSoup in the slow-cooker.



As always, with soups and stews, we like to make ahead, giving the flavors time to marry.  And a successful union it was!  So fresh-tasting.  The asiago cheese is lovely but, considering the cost differential, we will likely substitute parmesan next time.

I'm trying another new recipe tonight.  Stay tuned.

Cheers! 












12 comments:

  1. My goodness, my one cup, one fork friend is turning into a cooking fool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we have always been that! Our home kitchen is minimalist as well but, as you can see, it doesn't slow us down one bit.

      Delete
  2. The soup recipe links to the pie recipe. I thought you'd want to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think the post could get any better -- with Doris's portrait and that awesome looking food. Then I scrolled down to the picture of you and John. It's superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww .. thanks Sharon. Wine kisses are fun!

      Delete
  4. Love this post - all of it! But you're killing me with the foodie stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me hungry and I just ate lunch! ;-) Love the picture of your Dodo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pie recipe looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the doggy pic, as well as "all" the food and wine. If we were still near Auburn, I'd be begging for a dinner invitation.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute portrait of Doris. I am going to give the pie a shot but I will use Italian flavored turkey sausage and liquid eggs and being me it will be premade crust LOL I love finding recipes on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Doris' painting! And the food. Sounds yummy. Watch out..we WILL be somewhere near Auburn this summer....

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !