Saturday, May 30, 2015

Thoughts on Some-Timing


One surprising development in this semi-nomadic life of mine is realizing how much work there is to do when I'm home (a total of 5 months in the past 12). 

It makes sense. After all, when you pack a year's worth of to-do lists into 4-5 months, time contracts.  In other words, you are busy. That possibility never occurred to me until it happened.  

Duh.  

Crap! It's almost time to leave again!

When I’m on the road, there is little I have to do aside from routine chores like filling and dumping tanks and re-provisioning. Occasionally I’ll need to wash the GDB, maybe air up the tires, or get a propane refill.  

But mostly ... it's a lot of this.



On a typical non-travel day, I get up, make breakfast, check in with my students, work the crossword, and then set out for adventure – maybe hiking, shopping, sightseeing, or researching a new burger joint.  



Then it’s time for Happy Hour, a call home, then dinner.  I spend the evenings completing classroom work, blogging, and reading.  

But when I’m home, it’s wall-to-wall busy.  For example, this week, I had 3 appointments and we also traded cars. 

And then there is child-care. 

"What have you done for me lately?"


It’s a completely schizophrenic way to live. 

And I wouldn’t trade it for anything!

BTW, we are no longer a 2-convertible family.  Here’s the new conveyance - an exceedingly practical RAV4.  


13 comments:

  1. Yeah! Thats why we love living in the RV full time. But sometimes it would be easier to manage a few things like repairs or deliveries if we had a home base. ....Not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not about the stix and brix. See, when I'm on the road - it's all vacation. The things I'm tied up with now would still occur even if I was full-timing.

      Delete
  2. How did you do that most interesting collage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, Do you have Windows Photo Gallery? If you have a PC, you probably do. There is an auto-collage feature. It's extremely easy but the downside is that you can't edit it in any way.

      Delete
  3. SO VERY TRUE! We have been way too busy. Can't wait to camp again.
    Loved the collage!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true, isn't it? There aren't that many some-timers who stay on the road as long as we do. You pay the price for all that freedom.

      Delete
  4. I am hoping the Beetle wasn't the one sacrificed? That would have surely warranted a blog post of it's own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - both the Beetle and the Miata. They were great fun but not without issues. Maintaining 3 cars was tiresome. So the only other alternative was to sell the Roadtrek. As in, NEVER!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good variety to me. Sometimes, as a fulltimer, I find my days don't have enough going on and some of the things I'd enjoy doing are a pain in the tushy on the road. I like to be busy much of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me that's part of the lure of full time RVing...the lack of so many of the responsibilities of homeownership. And the adventure of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the same thoughts after I came back from living in my RV for 4 months in Florida. The RV life is so much easier. I'm also a sometimer, but going to have to downsize the home soon. Here's what I wrote. http://jdawgjourneys.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-simplicity-of-rv-livng.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your post, J Dawg. Thanks for sharing it!

      Delete
  8. Good to know that others are overly busy while at home. I have been thinking that surely we are doing something wrong. Great post and love the beach photo! It portrays how we feel in winter in the southwest.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !