Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Gettin' There

Greetings from Route 66!


I'm overnighting outside Albuquerque at this cute little rv park that displays the appropriate amount of kitschiness for its iconic location.

Web Photos


It's good to be back on the blog. Between the 300-plus mile days and a heavier-than-usual teaching load, I’ve had to stay away from Blogland.

After a sad goodbye to John and little Doris on Sunday, I hit the road. The story of the trip thus far has been:


The route: Memphis-Little Rock-Oklahoma City-Amarillo-Albuquerque. The goal: to outrun the heat as quickly as possible. Temperatures have been in the high-90s and low-100s and my poor little 3 cubic-foot fridge has struggled to keep its cool.

Not good.

I'm a bedside nurse again and my patient has a fever! I’ve been treating the lower compartment like an old-fashioned ice box during the day just to keep the temps in the 40's.  

As I write this at 6 PM, it's 98 degrees. Fortunately, I’ll be almost doubling my elevation over the next 2 days as I head north and up, up, up. I'm really ready to leave campgrounds behind too as I'd much much rather be boondocking. 

The folks back home have it rough too. This is my friend Jamie’s take on how the oppressive heat makes her feel. 


So, it's been a lot of this 

and this. 


There was a bit of drama on Monday as I was motoring along I-40 across - naturally - a long stretch between populated areas, I hear a weird repetitious tap-tap-tap followed by a grinding sound under the hood. Uh-oh.

This gets louder and more concerning, so I set the GPS for the closest Chevy dealer - some 30 miles away. Suddenly, about 5 miles from the exit, I hear a thud from under the van and the noise completely stops. 


The nice Chevrolet service manager at Sallisaw, OK looked her over and couldn’t see any problem under the hood or under the van. We figure it must have been road debris. 

After dodging that bullet, I decided the Good Deal Bus needed a spa day! 


Below, the guys at Blue Beacon Truck Wash in Oklahoma City work on a car as I await my turn. 


YES! A place big enough to drive a truck through (literally) and a team of people to do the work quickly. I was happy with the results and the final bill - $24.95. This included washing the undercarriage and applying RainX to all the windows. 

I am so looking forward to some Rocky Mountain Lows. Temps, that is. 

Stay tuned!




16 comments:

  1. I've seen so much good publicity about Blue Beacon. Will keep my eyes open for one. You should be cooler by now, and hopefully the fridge will follow suit. Do you have any kind of fan, either internal or external, to help dissipate the heat? High temps are just murder on refrigerators.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judie, I'm Blue Beacon's newest fan. I've got their app as well and will, no doubt, stop for a visit every time I'm on the road. One of my readers - Linda - recommended them. Thanks Linda!

      Delete
    2. My former job dealt with transporting peroxide to various places and I remember seeing those Blue Beacon receipts on our truck drivers expense reports. Did not occur to me to take my Trek through there!! Do they wax, too, I wonder? Gonna go check out their website and look for that app!

      Delete
    3. Hi Joni,

      Good question - one I did not think of! Not sure what other services they offer

      Delete
  2. On the road again! I'm so happy for you! And I'm so glad that your big thunking problem turned out to be nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post - and glad you are on the road again. Hope you are in cooler temps by now. :)

    Loved the photo of your friend, who is "cooked." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo of Jamie is too funny! You're getting much closer to cooler temps. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the road again, woohoo! Hopefully you're in the cooler temps by now and your fridge is breathing a sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes my frig responds the same way. I rotate and add little frozen blue freezer packs around any dairy products to keep them cooler in the heat also. Hear is to cooler weather so that we may breathe a collective sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes my frig responds the same way. I rotate and add little frozen blue freezer packs around any dairy products to keep them cooler in the heat also. Hear is to cooler weather so that we may breathe a collective sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes my frig responds the same way. I rotate and add little frozen blue freezer packs around any dairy products to keep them cooler in the heat also. Hear is to cooler weather so that we may breathe a collective sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've stayed at Enchanted Trails - and also really enjoyed the vintage trailers and cars. My sister stayed in the pink shasta and we enjoyed a glass of wine sitting outside on her astro-turf patio mat by the pink flamingos. Too fun.

    Hope you find cooler temps and relief for the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! I loved the office with all the vintage RV memorabilia. I left with a cute little magnet of a van that somewhat resembles the GDB. Yeah, I would stay there again for sure.

      Delete
  10. I hope the rain-x works for you. Blue Beacon does offer spray wax as well but I never do that because they don't always rinse the soap off as well as I'd like so I'm afraid to put anything else on. I've learned to ask them to rinse well. But, I sure do like this easy way to clean a van or RV.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to your new adventures. Its interesting when you give the names of places you've passed through and it shows the vastness of the country. Vastness is something we dont have here. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !