Sunday, July 26, 2015

Return to the Rockies

I've always loved Colorado's Rocky Mountains - but who wouldn't? I've spent most of my time here in the winter and everyone always said the same thing: you need to see it in the summer.

The view out my window.


I left Durango yesterday morning and traveled north along the Million Dollar Highway – US 550. The drive from Durango to Silverton is simply stunning.


The GDB gets close to camp.


After a week on the road, I was thrilled to finally arrive at this first stop on the 2015 Summer-Fall Adventure.

It’s also thrilling to, once again, join the caravan from the Pacific Northwest Summer and the Southwestern Desert Winter. Suzanne, Debbie, Jim & Gayle, and Chris are here. Along with Ouray residents Mark & Bobbie.

Ouray is known as the Switzerland of America. And yes, the topography is very much like the Alps.
Our view to the west.


And to the north.


As if the setting isn't inducement enough, the temperature is 68 degrees as I write this.

Bliss!



In other news, Rupert and Elliot take me and Debbie for a walk near camp today.


Rupert has a game where he runs up a hill, digs in the dirt to dislodge rocks, and then chases the rocks back down the hill. It’s stupid and genius at the same time.





The End!





5 comments:

  1. Perfection to be in CO right now, and with great friends to boot. You are going to have a blast!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous views! And I got so tickled at Rupert's game. I'd label it genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just HAVE to ask this since you just did the drive on 550:

    The last time I was in Ouray (about 5 years ago?) I was driving a Tundra truck from Ouray up the switchbacks and toward Silverton (obviously going south) so I was in the "outside lane" above the deep chasm at the top of the switchbacks. As I looked at the road ahead, I see the yellow lane marking line ... the one on the outer rim of the road...has a chunk of road GONE. It was a small chunk but that said to me the road would be further degrading. And there is no "there" left to widen it back out. So I have wondered many times how they fixed that or if it is still THAT close to driving off the edge of the world? Thanks for any info on this -- I'm sure all the locals would say the road is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi C.J.

      Funny you mention that because there was road construction on that outside lane (going south) with a steep drop-off. The lane was GONE. Just gone. And yes, this was in the midst of all those switchbacks.

      I was mesmerized by this and can't imagine how the highway dept. would even go about repairing it, but they were! Had there not been so much traffic, I would have asked one of the workers how they could even begin to replace it.

      Delete
  4. Breath taking views. Silly little dog but a happy one for sure

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !