Thursday, August 6, 2015

Red Mountain Hike

The indefatigable Mark and wife Bobbie have plans for Tuesday that include a hike to the summit of aptly-named Red Mountain.

Web Photo

Spoiler Alert: I don't go all the way to the 12,890-foot summit. The unending steepness (duh!) becomes a concern because of the need to eventually descend (duh again!).

Unfortunately, I have osteoporosis which means a bad fall will likely result in a broken bone or two. I honestly don't mind that so much but ... cutting my trip short by 3 months would be far more painful than any fracture.

And who wants negative thoughts interfering with views like these?


Once again, the temperatures and skies co-operate, although it's windy as we start out. Of course, the winds only increase as we rise above timberline.

Debbie, Chris, Jim, Gayle, Mark, Bobbie, Dave, Donna, Ally and Austin.

The wildflowers continue to delight.


This is about the point where I turn back. I plan to take it slow going down and I'm fine with that! (As long as I'm not holding anyone up).


I bellow over the wind to Jim, "See ya later!" He gives me a wave and continues upward.


Donna, a nice lady from Kentucky and friend of Mark and Bobbie's, joins me on the journey down. We chat and stop for photos often.



Eventually The Gang catches up with us, Mark in the lead.


Before long, we pass the abandoned cabin near the beginning of the trail.


Another magical meander through the majestic mountains!


7 comments:

  1. So wise to respect your limits. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping often for photos and chatting . . . my kind of hike! ;-> Also . . . snacking!!!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, but I think I'd be hanging at the back taking photos too.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to feel free to not do it all. All of them can hike rings around me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! I am ALWAYS behind any group because I'm taking pictures than running to catch up. Glad you had a great time. I believe everyone should know their limits and everyone else should respect those. Looks like you found a great group!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, knowing when to turn back. The others may have also been more adapted to the evelation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An Appalachian Trail creed is "hike your own hike". You don't have to pace yourself with anyone else.
    By the way, nice use of alliteration there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !