Friday, August 28, 2015

Salida, CO

Ahhh … I could easily live here.


In fact, I did!

Winter 2005

Ten years ago I accepted an assignment as a travel nurse with tiny Heart of the Rockies Medical Center. I’d never heard of Salida until my recruiter called with the offer.  Boy, did I luck out with that assignment!

My house then ....


My house now ...


I’ve had an ongoing love affair with Salida ever since. I wrote about my 4 months working here when I last visited in 2013. I’m always concerned that this delightful little gem will change, become faddish, and lose its defining unpretentious, artistic, funky character.

But I’m happy to report my fears are, thus far, unfounded.  I'm reassured when I get to town and see that there is still just one traffic light.


At present, the GDB and I are happily encamped in Bighorn Canyon - BLM land just a few miles outside of town.


Back to river living.


It's blissfully quiet here in the mornings as I enjoy the first cup of coffee. 


I’m in good company with Jeanne and Randy as we experience a succession of laid-back days during which we frequently comment on our good fortune. 



Although I truly believe, as Walt Whitman wrote ... I ask not good fortune. I myself am good fortune.  

Speaking of fate and self-made fortune, I’ve been searching for artwork to display in the GDB foyer.  I found it a few days ago in a consignment shop. 


It’s a powerful reminder of the time, 3 years ago, when I lost the job I loved and was consumed with hopelessness, bitterness, and paralyzing fear for the future.

During those dark days it was impossible to imagine I would be living this life of peace, gratitude, and freedom. 



16 comments:

  1. We love Salida. So afraid it's going to "get discovered" soon and become another Durango.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Such a surprise it hasn't happened yet.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful place. Love your find yes Imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking my maiden voyage this weekend. I keep thinking of your first trip in the GDB and imagining this will be my start of a life like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I wish you great happiness.

      Delete
  4. Isn't that just the neatest place ever, we went thru there and could have easily stayed and explored for some time. Love the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. Don't think I've ever met anyone who wasn't taken with Salida, now that I think about it.

      Delete
  5. You sure have a lovely little home on wheels!

    We just did a day trip to Salida while staying in Buena Vista, we really enjoyed all the activity along the river on a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, your "Imagine" flower picture is the perfect compliment and complement to the Good Deal Bus. Congratulations on a life well planed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley. Life is pretty good right now.

      Delete
  7. I might have to take a closer look at Roadtracks... Imagine, I never even knew they HAD "foyers"! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might have to take a closer look at Roadtracks... Imagine, I never even knew they HAD "foyers"! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !