Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Scenes from Camp and Elsewhere

Hello from our happy camp nestled in the Uncompahgre National Forest.

The scene inside the GDB on most mornings.


We had a couple of days with intermittent rain which, except for the mud production, was lovely.  What an experience watching the rain fall over these mountains while staying cozy and dry.

Storm clouds approach from the south.


Below is Corbett Peak, shrouded by clouds. Watching Nature's dramatic show out my window is just so much better than cable.



Here’s Jim, Gayle, and Chris, ¼ mile away on the left side of the photo. They have killer views as well.



There's always time for enjoying the simple pleasures, such as making dinner on my Grandmother's cast iron skillet.


Glenn and I discuss the general nature of things through my bug screen. Several minutes before this shot was taken, a buck walked through the foliage behind Glenn. 



In other news, Elliot gets in touch with his inner Dirt Devil.


Speaking of wild animals, Debbie spots this bear print on the road.



It’s fun exploring the nearby mountain towns, even if it’s just strolling the streets for an afternoon.

Main Street Ouray garden

Ridgway Doorway

From our camp you can see the small town of Ridgway off in the right distance of the valley. 




Downtown Ouray (web photo)

Downtown Ridgway (web photo)
Of course, we seek out the good eats!



Debbie and I gobble lunch at Ridgway's Taco Del Gnar. Here's a one word review: OHMYGOD. We vow to return soon and often.

After 2 weeks on the road, my to-do list had grown, so in order to accomplish all the chores, I overnight in Montrose on Sunday. The folks at Home Depot were most hospitable. I repaid their kindness with a full shopping cart!


I needed more reflectix for the GDB windows and ended up doing all of them.


And, of course there is always this.


A very productive 24 hours!  But on Monday, I was ready to leave civilization and return to the home-away-from-home. It was a happy sight with the mountains looming closer.


I was ready for some more fun and fun, indeed, happened the next day - with a hike.

Stay tuned!



13 comments:

  1. There is no such thing as underestimating the power of a good nest! ;->

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncompahgre. Say that 3 times fast. I actually had to listen to its pronunciation on Google translate! =) Love the quaint little towns of Ouray and Ridgway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your campsite and Ridgeway. Spent time there Saturday, a week ago. Wish we could've crossed paths. Have fun. We're heading back to the heat.:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't envy you 3. Here's hoping autumn will come around sooner than usual.

      Delete
  4. Sounds that you had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing the wonderful clippings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have hit Ouray this past June. Oh well...next year! I'm re-doing all my reflectix this weekend. Did a rush job last year and the fit isn't perfect. Must. Be. Perfect!!! haha Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you are traveling with Glenn; does he play for you? What a treat that would be echoing off the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has seranaded us a few times when composing.

      Delete
    2. What a great bonus to your travels! I'm green with envy.

      Delete
  7. Hello, Kim...Rhonda here, from middle Tennessee...been following you for awhile and enjoy your blog (wine and dinner at home, trails and wildflowers on the roam). I've been dreaming (lusting) about someday seeking my own trails in a Roadtrek so had to send a rousing "thank you" for the indoor shots of yours in this post. I love how you've decorated it and I long to have one of my own. Until then I vicariously enjoy the wondrous wanderings of others. Someday, someday...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,

      Hope your someday arrives quickly!

      Delete

Let's chat !