Thursday, October 1, 2015

Bryce Canyon National Park

Leaving Capitol Reef, I set a course for Bryce Canyon National Park along Utah’s Scenic Highway 12.  The drive was so very scenic but the constant change in elevation and frequent hairpin curves kept me on my toes. Not to mention the open-range livestock.



At 9,500 feet, it was so exciting to finally find welcoming AUTUMN!


I find a lovely boondock in the Dixie National Forest, less than a mile from the Park entrance. Though getting a rig larger than mine back here would be impossible.  So, it’s just me and the deer among the pines.


Long just breathtaking images in some coffee table book, I can hardly believe I’m here.  


I’m eager to hike and explore this wonderland up-close.  Before hitting the trail, I stand on the rim at Sunrise Point and gawk. 


With 200 days of ice and rain annually, the features that define Bryce - the hoo-doos - are formed by the relentless thawing and freezing of ice that pushes the sandstone rocks apart. 


My first hike is the combination of Queen’s Garden and the Navaho Loop through the Bryce Amphitheater.  Waaaay down there. 


The trail begins near the notable figure of Thor’s Hammer (center). 


With every step, in every direction, the scene is like some rocky Wonderland.  




It’s hard to stop taking photos. (I realize my selfies need more work).


Thinking it can’t get any better, I enter the Navaho Loop.



A main feature of this area is the Wall Street formation.


Soon after, the trail enters a slot canyon. I'm reminded that I have a colonoscopy scheduled in December. 


Lastly, to exit the canyon, there is a heinously steep climb with a series of switchbacks.


The trail ends at Sunrise Point.


What an memorable introduction to Bryce NP! 

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful Pics! Hopefully the cows came to harass you in camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't. But I did eat a cheeseburger the next day.

      Delete
  2. It's so beautiful there! I love your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! Hope Katie is doing well.

      Delete
  3. Not sure if my last comment posted or not but I'm so bummed - I think you were probably there around the same day that I was planning on heading there to do those trails! I had to wait for the rooftop AC guy to show up, so that's a bummer! But I love the photos and now for sure know I want to be there next week on my day off. So nice to see the fall colors coming early as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer indeed. But I'll see you soon!

      Delete
  4. I have such fond memories of Capital Reef from camping there a couple times with my folks. But Bryce is my absolutely most wonderfully favorite of all the parks. Thanks for taking me back in time. And for showing me that it's still as beautiful as it was in the 70's and 80's. Happy sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So beautiful. Hope you get to return one day.

      Delete
  5. Wow, stunning photos with intelligent descriptions and a dash of dry humor, a travel blog doesn't get much better than yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been down in Bryce Canyon...something I'd really like to do some day! Thanks for taking me there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a real accomplishment to hike somewhere you and Hans have not!

      Delete

Let's chat !