Wednesday, October 14, 2015

More Zion


Hiking

I’ve been scurrying around Zion's footpaths like some demented cockroach.  Although I haven’t done any challenging trails because I’m a) alone and b) some 2,000 miles from my orthopedic surgeon.  :-)

View from my campsite.

Nevertheless, I’ve had a blast roaming the place.



My favorite hike was to the Emerald Pools.  


The trail culminates in a series of pools made from water stored in the porous rock that, against all odds, creates an oasis in this desert environment.




Surface algae gives the water its usual aqua-emerald appearance.  Alas, not on this day, as the sun refused to shine.  


There was a series of thunderstorm the night before; as a result, all the slot canyons were closed due to the danger of flash floods.  And the famed Angel’s Landing trail was closed for construction to repair the trail.

Wildflowers and Cacti side-by-side.  A unique ecosystem. 

The beauty of the hike and the pools is incomparable.

A precarious arrangement of balanced rocks along the trail. 

The sun reappeared in full force the following day along with ideal temperatures.


Leaving

It's difficult to leave such a glorious place, knowing you may never return.  But go I must, onto the next adventure.  Here are a few parting shots.




The drive out of the canyon via the 24-mile Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway is stunning.  


The GDB zipped up all the switchbacks and glided through the 1.1 mile-long tunnel as she was bred to do.



What an experience!  


And so ends my tour of the Southern Utah National Parks – no longer a great gaping hole on my travel resume.  It’s a trip I’ll never forget.  

Not that it’s over yet.  Stay tuned!



8 comments:

  1. One of our favorite places, also. You're making me very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So which park turned out to be your favorite??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us with you---stirs lots of memories.Fantastic picts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those hoodoos have always been one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanna take one home for the backyard!

      Delete
  5. I so love that drive through Zion on Highway 9. Very few roads in this universe compare with the beauty there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each stop is more stunning than the last...............

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !