Tuesday, December 8, 2015

News From Home

Big things are afoot here at home, though none involve traveling at the moment. 

The biggest news is that John has one more week of work!  His retirement party last week, making it all seem so real, was an outpouring of affection and good wishes. We are so excited about this new chapter in our lives!

The GDB is resting and getting road-ready for a trip to the east coast in February. She’s squeaky clean inside-and-out, from the top of her solar panel to her undercarriage. Even the tanks are sanitized! 

I also did a much-needed mod by replacing the original too-heavy too-large table with this lightweight user-friendly version. 


Cost: about $20 for an 18-inch pine round and can of paint.

I also found a new favorite travel accessory.  


I’ve been looking for a way to keep my coffee warm.  I mean, really warm. For hours.  No insulated mug, no matter how expensive, was ever up to the task.  I found this 12V RoadPro heated mug at a truck stop in Louisiana. 

It has 5 heat settings and holds 15 oz.  The light turns green when the correct temperature is reached.  I’ve tested the High setting and do believe you could cook a stew in it!

So, even though the GDB is parked for now, she’s never far from my thoughts. 


18 comments:

  1. Yes, Its thinking about you! It misses the intimacy of hosting and housing you. I can almost hear it whispering to itself and you: Meaning lives in movement---and my wheels are itchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mods!! I thought I saw a post go out a few days ago from your blog with the title "so long". It hit my RSS feed, but then disappeared from link. Did you have a change of mind? Or just decided to delay the decision?
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that! I had decided to shut the blog down, but then reconsidered. I think I would miss the rewards too much. So I go to delete the good-bye post and end up publishing it. Bad Blogger!

      Delete
    2. Oh phew! I totally understood the post, but would admittedly also miss your travels.
      Nina

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you reconsidered! I love following your travels. Just post whenever you feel like it. You have lots of readers, and lots of love coming your way.

      Congratulations to John!!

      Delete
  3. I also saw the "so long" post. I too would miss reading about your travels and adventures, so I'm very pleased you reconsidered. Will you be upgrading to a larger RV now that John has retired!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! That's the question on everyone's mind, including mine.

      Answer Cloudy. Ask again later.

      Delete
  4. Two great fixes! I like the way your living room looks - very posh yet cozy. The round table is really nice. :) And the heating cup looks like a great idea. I love having little fixes - even the smallest thing makes life better and more interesting. After 4 1/2 years on the road full-timing, I'm still finding little things that work so well for me, I wonder how I got along without them. Ever changing... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that such small changes make such big differences. I can't believe it's been almost 5 years for you!

      Delete

  5. Neat looking mug, but wouldn't work for me. The coffee never lasts long enough to get cold. Tell John congratulations on his retirement. Understand the cloudy decisions. It took the two of us a while to get used to each others retirement. Bet the GDB will be good with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Retirement...awesome! Can't wait to see what you two get up to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, saw your So Long post which then disappeared. I am glad you will continue to share your adventures. Congrats to John!
    Joanne from the Roadtrek Facebook Group

    ReplyDelete
  8. After clicking on the So Long and getting a blank page, I felt a sharp stab of pain/loss in my heart. After reflection of you and who you are, I knew that is not the way you would say goodbye! So glad you are still around!

    Suggest not making any huge changes the first year after this big event. Maybe a Clam shelter would help with the space issue until you two decide what you need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Road Pro makes some great stuff, I have their little coffee maker and it works great. The little table is nice and takes up a lot less room. Nice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on John's retirement! Is he planning to go on the February trip with you?
    Your new table looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John says Thank You Very Much. He's sure smiling a lot these days. No - the February trip is a girls' only excursion.

      Delete
  11. Love the picture of Kermie and the caption - that is too cute. And please tell your husband I said congrats. That is an amazing achievement and I bet he's going to love not having to work anymore. Is he headed to the east coast with you? Btw, have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !