Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Rest Stop

Just wanted to pop in to the ole Blog homestead and give you an update.

My travel plans for the summer ran into some timing issues so I’ll likely spend the summer here in the Swampy Southeast.  (Of course, you all know about jello plans). 

I thought seriously about touring the Great Lakes this summer (on my list), but I hear the black flies are absolute torture this time of year and, as I discovered, the summers are quite HOT at those latitudes as well.  

But I have a plan to enjoy this with temps in the mid-70's. 


Once I realized I had to reassess the summer, I made a mental list of why I’m willing to just hang out here at home.  Actually, there are some pretty compelling reasons when you type them out for your blog readers.  

1)      Our brand new Air Conditioning system.  I’ll really get to take advantage of that pricy new addition.

2)      Art time. I’ve been in a creative frenzy for the past few months and now I’ll have plenty of time to indulge. 


My new Gelli plate is habit-forming! 


3)      Homegrown tomatoes.  I’ve seriously missed those for the past 3 summers and intend to make up for the deprivation. For those of you who've never sampled the tomatoes we grow in the Deep South, well ... I’m sorry for you.


4)      No summer crowds. No shrieking kids. No motorcycle caravans.

5)      The Summer Olympics.  Get to see it all on the big big screen.

6)      John + Doris.  Both retired now and loving it.   


This hiatus is temporary.  I’ve got plenty of miles left in me yet.  

After Labor Day, the GDB and I will hit the road, probably in the direction of the Great Lakes.  Lots of National Park sites between here and there!  


Home for the holidays, then back to the RTR and the desert SW for the winter. 

Stay tuned! 


27 comments:

  1. If I am home (Chicago) when you do your Great Lakes trek I hope that we get to meet one another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn,

      Well, that would be great. Although I had planned to avoid Chicago as it's the one area I've spent considerable time in. Great city though!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a plan. I sure would like to figure out more crafty things to do while rolling along. Then there is the storage space problem...... Yes indeed, your plan sounds like a good one. I look forward to the adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      I solved that problem years ago when I started doing digital art. No supplies needed. And all your stuff is stored on your hard drive. When I'm home is the time I indulge on the handmade versions.

      Delete
  3. I like it when a plan comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a plan. Stocking up on John & Doris time before heading out again is good. So are homegrown tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait till they are available. The tomatoes that is.

      Delete
  5. Well, those are all great reasons to stay home for the summer. I'll miss seeing you over the summer, but I'm sure we'll meet up again on the road.

    And those tomatoes are luscious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomatoes, John, and Doris. Three of the best reasons to stay home. We have a trip coming up, but will back home before peak "mater' season. Thanks for the update...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maters. You know what I'm talkin' about!

      Delete
  7. Jealous of those tomatoes haven't found a good one since I left the mid west

    ReplyDelete
  8. For you, I'd say the no shrieking kids should be number one! With good air conditioning it isn't so bad in the south during the summer. And not only will you be able to watch the Olympics but also the Tour de France. Okay, now I'm jealous ;-)
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - Le Tour! I forgot to list that one. I've missed that too.

      Delete
  9. Home grown tomatoes is the thing I missed the most about being on the road. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm serious when I say I missed real tomatoes the past 3 summers on the road. I'm so spoiled, they are the only kind I can eat. Others are just tragic disappointments.

      Delete
  10. We were around Lake Superior and Michigan last summer and loved it. The flies weren't a problem staying along the water. Now we are in So California and loving the fresh produce at the farmer's markets. Strawberries, corn and heirloom tomatoes. all in April. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only taken a few very short trips in my Minnie so far, but already have found it's always nice to come home for a while. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes staying put is just the right thing to do!
    No lists here....just ready to sit on the porch for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always thought us Midwestern gals had the best bloody black soiled mators...guess, I'll wait to see if SC/GA can shine! BLTs! Ready for Olympics too and making a wind chime ;) you're an artist?..should have known. Nice to have a home base, I'm sure...missing it some days! Gonna be a great summer Kim...lots of time to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think the black flies are bad...yet...but your plan will work just fine. Agree a tomato from the garden is unbeatable. Glad you'll get to enjoy the crop this year. We haven't even bought the plants yet, much less had any blossoms or tomatoes. Lots of time for that..planting here isn't until after Memorial Day. Katie (the dog) and I ARE going camping next week, prior to Memorial Day. I hope it's warmer than today when we had low 40's and ...gasp...snow. - Dawn from Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your first photo AND the fact that we will see more of your wonderful art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Labor Day is Doon now...and our tomatoes are coming in here in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you have a lot of great reasons to staycation!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Southwest? We get another shot at a meet up?

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !