Saturday, September 10, 2016

Eau Claire, WI

I’ve landed in central Wisconsin where summer has left the building


Even though the leaves remain green, the temps are in the 70’s.  And I’m in heaven! John reports that the heat index back home is … well, never mind … don’t want to rub it in.  The overnight lows are getting lower and I might just have to fire up the furnace in the morning. 

More interstate driving today from Madison to Eau Claire.

Runt of the Litter at a Rest Stop. 
But the landscape was fetching.  The serene and rolling farm land is dotted with red barns and silos. 

Web Photo

Much like Dick and Jane experienced when they visited their spry grandparents.  



I stopped to explore the Wisconsin Dells and indulge in some cheese shopping. With come-ons like this all around, your mouth starts to water for the stuff.


After a while, even this larger-than-life-sized rodent no longer appears menacing.


I had great fun browsing all the cheese-related merchandise


and, after sampling a few edibles, left with this. (Disclosure: it’s imported but WHO CARES? It makes my knees buckle).


As you long-time blog readers know, one of the things I love most about traveling in the GDB is the ability to effortlessly (i.e. spontaneously) explore Main Street USA.  

The GDB does Eau Claire

I now decree Eau Claire a classic jaywalk town. (I call them jaywalk towns because … you can.) This place is an All-American hamlet.

Exhibit A.


Exhibit B. 

Bronze sculpture entitled For the Love of the Game.

Trite as it sounds, visiting such habitats reassures me that the US is still the place we learned about in Civics class.  The Main Street USA experience provides perspective – much like a night spent gazing at the Milky Way.  For me, anyway. 

I spent a good deal of time in the Main Street Emporium – one of the most impressive antique stores I’ve ever visited.  I can’t imagine what their 3 floors of inventory is worth.

Just a fraction of African art on offer. 

The book collection is astounding. Rows and rows like this. 

Tomorrow includes a lazy drive to Duluth where the sightseeing begins in earnest.

Stay tuned! 

7 comments:

  1. It will be fun to ride along on this trip. It's a part of the country I've never seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! The only Great Lake I've seen is Michigan from Chicago and Erie (I think) from Detroit. This trip will be a great geography lesson!

      Delete
  2. Love this post, Kim, and love seeing this slice of your life on the road. I love to roam...and hope to do more when I can finally retire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! Second smartest thing I ever did (after saying "I do"). And yes, I would love to help you choose a house-on-wheels. Here's hoping it's soon!

      Delete
  3. Exciting! I love Wisconsin. Was there 2 years ago...found the farmland fascinating...they have these silos with low rounded roofs that I'd never seen before. And they have cheese, which as you know is the real reason for visiting. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying following your route and trip. Hope to do a similar trip next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you always explore beyond the first impression attractions and find the real life experiences and adventures in the places you visit.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !