Monday, October 17, 2016

Lincoln's Birthplace - Hodgenville, KY


On the way back south through the Blue Grass State, I made a slight detour to visit the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln.  

I’m astounded to realize that I’ve now seen (among other significant Lincoln sites) Abe's crime scene, death bed, final resting place, adult residence, last residence, and now – finally - first residence.

Typical frontier cabin replica.

"Stalker", John says.

But what student of American history isn’t fascinated by this man? This improbable leader, genius, giant.

The Lincoln family - father Thomas, mother Nancy, sister Sarah, and baby Abraham.
No original structures on the Lincoln farm survive. But we are fortunate that this remote, rural, and still-agricultural plot of land was spared the erosion of development.

During Teddy Roosevelt’s administration, a memorial to the birthplace was built on a hill overlooking the old farmstead.  


56 steps for every year of Lincoln’s life.

Inside, a replica of a frontier cabin.


The museum and film are top-notch. Entrance to this NP site is free, but in the donation box, I place the fitting sum of $5.01

About 10 miles down the road is the second Lincoln home where the family lived until 1816.  Also saved from development.  Walking through the serene fields, it's not at all hard to imagine young Abe out there helping with chores and practicing his lettering in the dirt. 


At the time, there was a schoolhouse a few miles down the road where Lincoln's two-year total of formal education began.




10 comments:

  1. I bet the presidential election campaigns were far more dignified then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think it's safe to say that Lincoln elevated every endeavor he undertook.

      Delete
  2. Can you really be a stalker if the person is dead? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such interesting posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, based on your visits, what do you consider to be the best "Lincoln" site to visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The White House. Is that possible anymore? Ford's Theater was the most visceral for me.

      Delete
  5. I realize I've seen all of these places too...saw Ford's theater last spring. I agree...that held me most...though his final resting place is pretty special too.

    We saw a play at Ford's theater and I was so distracted by the presidential box up to my right that I lost track of the current work being played out on the stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool that you saw a live performance. I would be distracted as well!

      Delete
    2. I don't even remember what we saw that night.

      Delete
  6. I just visited Abe's boyhood home on my way through last week, I didn't get to the birthplace and museum this time so I was glad to see your pictures and post about it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !