Tuesday, October 11, 2016

RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart, IN

OK - I double-dare you to not spend hours browsing here!


This spot has been on my list for a while.


The museum has many trailers and motorhomes on display, but the surprise is that most of them are one-of-a-kind.  For example, you don't just see a vintage motorhome, you'll see the very first Fleetwood Class A ever manufactured. 


I’ve been nuts about RVs since my dad took me shopping for a pop-up in about 1967. We got one like this (only ours was brown). I loved that camper!



Warning: prepare to feel the horror when you realize that items from your childhood are now museum relics.


Here's the luxury coach that Paramount Studios built for Mae West in 1931. Complete with back porch. 



The collection contains many custom-builds.




So I ran around the place (2.5 times), squealing! I told John, this was one day I’m glad he wasn’t with me.  The embarrassment might have been too much for him.






The museum also houses vintage accessories, documents, paintings, and photos.  Like this painting of the New Moon - the model that caused so many problems in The Long Long Trailer


I guess this innovation never took off. The roof-top wife-rack.


A priceless collection.





One of my favorites - built on a 1915 Model T, this early motorhome's cabinets telescope in and out. What a brilliant design!



Here’s the website if you wanna see for yourself. Overnight parking is allowed.





8 comments:

  1. Agree! This is one place every RVer would have a blast at! I hope to get there some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and Hans would really enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. How fun! Any mods to the GDB after your tour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - no. But I wouldn't mind one of those Mae West rocking chair porches.

      Delete
  3. I've driven by this place several times without stopping. Based on your post, I'll be stopping next time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, J Dawg. Gotta stop. Well worth the $10.

      Delete
  4. Oh my. I've GOT to go there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn - I bet you'll enjoy it as much as I did. If you are ever in Amarillo, there is a fabulous RV museum there too. Privately-owned, free, and equally fabulous! I plan to stop every time I'm through Amarillo, it's that good. I don't think I posted about it though. Here's the link: http://www.rvmuseum.net/

      Delete

Let's chat !